Tuesday 13 March 2012

Neil Kent Collection and a Hand in Glove (Or three)

Many of my regular 'Blog' readers will recall the sad passing of long time Welbeck MGP rider, Neil Kent during practice last August.


You will probably also recall that many of my posts also mention how useless I am at getting around to doing things and therefore, it is only recently that we have passed on the donations, kindly made by guests and visitors to the Hotel.

In the picture is Michael George of the Welbeck Hotel (a.k.a. me) giving the cheque for £220 to John Kermeen of the Manx Grand Prix Helicoptor Fund. Unlike the T.T. this huge cost has to be met by donations as there is no direct Government funding.

Yesterday afternoon after work, I went for a training walk and as I am prone to Reynards Syndrome, otherwise known as 'White Finger' was attired both in cotton luminous and black woollen fingerless gloves, despite the relatively mild weather.

Of course, my hands were freezing when I set off but as I came along Marine Drive (I always seem to be on Marine Drive when I blog about things but I do go to lots of other places. Honest!) they were absolutely roasting, so I removed them.

On arriving back in Douglas, as with nearly every Monday for the last seven years, I then attended Manx Harriers Junior Racewalk Training which is held every Friday at 5.00pm and during the 'Warm up' again my fingers began to feel the chill, so as we were doing our exercises and drills, I was putting my gloves back on.

When it came to begin our session properly, I noticed I was one fingerless black glove short of a pair. After an extensive search of my pockets (my friend and former Welbeck chef, Stuart Murphy used to call me 'Which Pocket Mike') revealed no missing garment, I asked everyone to keep an eye-out as they circulated the athletics track.

Still no glove! I had to leave a little earlier than usual, so requested everyone to keep looking for it as I suspected it had been caught up with everyone's kit.

When I came to start stripping off my clothes for the next activity, I finally found it. On my right hand I had three!

No comments:

Post a Comment