Friday 31 August 2012

Kaisers Rule The Villa Marina

Last Tuesday, Terence and I went to see 'The Kaiser Chiefs' at the Villa Marina. Having witnessed the excellent 'Mike & the Mechanics' with Rocheford and their collective bucketful of hits fail to draw an audience of more than a couple of hundred, I was fearful for the bank balance of the promoter and the reputation of the Island as a music venue having a band with no more than a half dozen charting ditties to its name being able to attract a decent crowd over two nights.

I had prevaricated about whether to go as Irene was struggling with a cold (that she got from Happy and has now generously passed on to me) but eventually decided to get tickets on Tuesday afternoon when Terence (my 14 year old son) expressed an interest despite not really being a fan.

Obviously, I needn't have worried because they only had two tickets left on 'Re-sale,' which meant that I had to pay cash and they couldn't be reserved.

We are a bit lucky living here in the Isle of Man because everywhere is easily accessible and our family lives in a house which is 5 minutes from anywhere in Douglas but I felt that it would be a bit much if we arrived at the door in an hour and a half still unaware of whether we'd be at the gig or not, so I managed to persuade the lady on the desk to hold the tickets for three minutes for me while I jumped on my push-bike and went hell for leather down the hill.

The support group as mentioned in yesterday's IOM Examiner by Terry Cringle of all people were good but I think that not having any vocals at all probably didn't help them grasp the attention of the crowd.

The Kaiser Chiefs and particularly front man, Ricky Wilson performed with great energy and used the audience well to create a fantastic atmosphere.

At one stage they stopped the gig to find out the football score but if they felt any disappointment about their beloved Leeds United, they hid it well. However, they were playing the mighty Seasiders, so they should have known! *The eagle eyed amongst you may have spotted that this picture wasn't from this year's gig. Due to a technical error (me being born) I was unable to access my photographs from my old phone without borrowing it back from Terence.

No comments:

Post a Comment