Thursday 7 May 2015

A Promenade To Be Proud Of (Well by 2020 Anyway)

On this occasion, I've don the reverse of what I usually do as this blog posting was placed on Facebook last night. I apologise if I'm boring you.

My chum Murray Lambden will be chuffed to see this sight.



A Douglas Promenade without a car to be seen! Yippee!

Mind you, having seen plans of the revamp today, I doubt it will ever again look as spacious as this. Having said that, I believe the they have achieved a balance that will certainly not please everyone but will be a huge improvement on what we have had for at least the last 30 years.

The horse trams will be on Loch Prom but then move to the current road at the war memorial.

The entire area from Villiers to Castle Mona Avenue will have no traffic lights, no formal crossings, no kerbs and very few ugly road signs. A shared area along the lines of the experiments in Holland and I believe Poynton Cheshire where I lived for a year when I was 4.

It's a very bold concept and I hope their foresight will reward all of us and our visitors to the Island.

It relies on its users, encouraged by their cleverly designed surroundings to drive and walk responsibly even making eye contact with their fellow human beings.

Have you ever heard people comment on how well the traffic flows when the lights aren't working? Well this takes the concept to a whole new almost entirely level level.

Below is a link to an explanation of the how it should all work in practice and I believe the plans for Douglas will be at the Sea Terminal tomorrow.

https://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DX3B2BaeP1W8&h=QAQGKdUMZ

Presumably, anyone from across will be able to view these plans 'Online' as soon as they are officially lodged with the 'Planning Committee' later this month.

No comments:

Post a Comment