Wednesday 25 January 2012

From Quick wit to Dimwit in a Keystroke

Beware the perils of Facebook!
(My FB profile picture.)

Last night after a meal out and a few drinks, I decided to have a look at Facebook and returned to a thread I'd been on earlier with people moaning about the continued dark nights dismal mornings.

It's a time of year that I actually find quite exciting as the days gradually lengthen to signal spring on the way, so I thought my 'FB friends' were being a bit maudlin and contributing to their own depression when actually there was great cause for optimism.

Of course, I explained, I was now fired up and armed with the righteousness of alcohol, so when I read that another FB friend had had a 'dans leg,'lost in the post, I thought all her other friends were being a bit over the top with their sympathy about a lost package, I immediately shot back to my athlete 'friend,' 'I hope it's not your running leg;)'

Suddenly a belated consciousness, not to mention a small bit of foreboding kicked in as I re-read some of the other 'Comments,' so I wrote, 'And by the way, what is a dans leg?'

Of course, you've probably guessed already what my befuddled brain initially missed and as my FB friend now explained, it was her son Daniel's prosthetic limb that had been waylaid by the postal service. You can imagine how big and clever I felt then.

Luckily she also has a sense of humour and she tried her best to assuage my guilt but I can envisage a few shaking heads in the FB community and beyond into real life.

I'll lay low on the 'Comments' section for a little while me thinks.

Don't drink and Facebook! It's not safe!

And to Wendy: Please remember to use punctuation in future. Its absence can confuse the stupid! Once again, I do apologise and hope 'dans leg' turns up soon.

1 comment: